Thursday, October 02, 2003

"Hey Pa! Them scientists is modifyin' our corn all genetic-like!"

Somehow our Italian class managed to get into a discussion about genetically modified corn. Most of my more vocal classmates seemed to be against it. But of course, one said that phrase I love so well: "It seems good now, but we don't even know what could happen in the long run."

I was going to point out that that could be argued about absolutely anything. For example:

"Good afternoon, Herr Nestle."

"Yah, good afternoon, eh..."

"Quick, sir. I work in your secret chocolate research facility."

"Ah, yes. Tell me, drone, why do you wish to see me? Has there been progress on making chocolate that one can drink? "

"Well sir, I've created a powder that, when combined with ordinary milk, becomes chocolate milk."

"Interesting...Now let's suppose for a moment that this magical powder you describe really works, yah? Have you researched the effects of drinking this over the course of someone's life? Have you found out what happens to their children? Sure, an instant powder sounds good, but what could happen in the long run?"

"I hadn't thought of that, Herr Nestle. I suppose I shall get back to work on force-feeding cows melted chocolate. They've mostly been dying, though."

"Yah, keep trying that. And quit wasting your time with those powders, Quick. Force-feeding cows! That's the future! Good, wholesome, 100%-natural, force-feeding."

"Das gud, Herr Nestle."

"Yer damn right, Das gud! Now back underground with you!"


But our professor managed to get us back on track and we had finished reading about a little girl's adventures in Italy.

"I make a better guide than a map."

As I was leaving class and heading out to the vast parking lot to search for my car, a girl approached me from the opposite direction and asked, "Excuse me, do you know where the Testing Center is?"

I'd been there once before, but I wasn't completely sure how to give directions there. "Well, I'm not sure," I admitted, "But I can show you."

So we started walking. She introduced herself. "I'm Guillermo," I replied.

"Oh, isn't that Spanish for William?"

"Uh, yeah, it is!"

"Does anyone call you Memo?"

"My family does, mostly." I was a bit nervous then. I had to stifle a surfacing fear that she could read minds. "What are you testing for?" I asked.

"Business Law. Ethics, really. Not there are any ethics in business, of course. Not that you can teach."

And it was really shaping up to be a good discussion, but we arrived at the Testing Center. She thanked me. I said it was nice meeting her.

And it was.

It occurs to me now that I could have taken her the long way.

And now I'm late for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.