Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I went running last night.

It was earlier than I normally run. The park is much livelier at 8 pm than at 2 am.

There were people fishing, couples strolling around the lake, children playing, and quite a few solitary hill-sitter-on-ers.

I hadn't brought my headphones with me in the hopes that I could ponder without distraction. Of course, it didn't work. I just did what I always do whenever I try to remove distractions. I found new distractions.

As I ran by, I would catch snippets of conversation. One of my favorite exchanges was between a couple in their early twenties.

"My butt isn't big," the woman said, "It's a medium butt."

"Yeah," the man agreed. "It's a booty."

"It's gonna be an ass real soon, though," she said, laughing.

Gludeal taxonomy? I love it! I ran on.

I passed another couple.

"I swallowed a goldfish last night," said the female in an off-hand manner.

"What?!" the male exclaimed.

I laughed again. I had my suspicions about that one, though. Given the non-sequitur nature of the remark, I think she may have said that just because I happened to be passing within earshot.

This theory fits perfectly with my egocentric view of the universe.

After 45 minutes of running, the people began to thin out. I was left alone with my thoughts. Well, not completely alone.

Ducks don't like being chased. Either that, or running at them makes them remember that they have something very important to do somewhere else.

Geese don't like being chased either. They don't like it so much that they usually stand their ground and puff up threateningly.

But don't take my word for it.

* * * * *

I still feel a little cluttered. I've gotten rid of just about everything that doesn't have a distinct function. It's nice. I have even started taping all those random notes into a single notebook.

Not quite there, but I'm getting closer.

* * * * *

I bought a ticket to San Francisco. I'll be able to catch my friend Josh Hagler's art show and visit with my old partner-in-crime, Phill. I'm excited.

* * * *

After I get off work at 4:30, I'm going to hurtle towards a community college near my house and sign up for a summer class that starts today at 5:30. There's no minute like the last minute.

* * * * *

I had to speak to the director of Macbeth again. For some reason, he wasn't too keen on the idea of me dropping out. Working for an insurance company has taught me well, as I asked him to "please consider this my final decision."

* * * *

Does anyone have any advice on how to establish credit? (Keep in mind I did have an apartment when I was 18.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.