Saturday, August 17, 2024

Another mostly lazy day. There's certainly plenty I could do: laundry, dropping off the pile of clothing donations, washing the dogs. 

Of course, the never-ending need to vacuum the dog hair. Fur tumbleweeds roll by, as a red-tailed hawk crys overhead to punctuate my solitude. 

It is also time to go through my tech and cull what I don't use anymore. 

Everything is the latest and greatest until the next thing comes out. 

After car-shopping for my sister, my nephew, and most recently, myself, it's become clear that the seller's strategy is to dazzle us with more than we need. And why not, I think, don't I deserve it? I feel like I've been deprived of something before, even though I didn't know it even existed until they try to sell it to me. 

I feel like I've realized this before, probably many times. 

I'm still stuck in the cycle. 

It's time for the hard choices.

Do I get rid of my collection of superhero statuettes? The comic books? The tiki mugs?

Probably don't need the kayak. We had a good run back when I lived by the lake, but I haven't used it since. 

I feel like a sea turtle covered in barnacles. The drag of possessions that I've accumulated because of the dopamine release when purchasing them, and because I probably view them as little extensions of myself as I think I am. Right? I struggle with that. What if I'm trying to remind myself to be something I never was?

Even though I do appreciate many of my possessions as art, it's still worth reassessing once in a while. "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful," is something someone said. I modify the first part to "immediately useful" when I'm shopping. 

Lots of stuff that could be useful, but I don't need to purchase. 

Aside from safety stuff. First aid kits, fire extinguishers. Those are good things to have. 

I don't know. 

Maybe I'll give a bunch of it away. Keep only my very favorite stuff. 

I suppose I better go reassess. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, topic suggestions, and your vote for worst sentence can be made here: