Thursday, June 10, 2021

Diamond shoes tapping down a silver lane.

The key to separating real memories and false ones is the additional sensory information. 

I remember seeing an experiment where people were asked to observe a couple having a picnic for a brief period while taking pictures, and then after the people left, the couple was photographed doing a few other activities. Later, the participants were shown photos of events they observed and photos of events they didn't observe, like playing frisbee. Then they were asked to recall which ones really happened. And of course, they often believed they had observed the staged events because they were remembering seeing the photos.

I suppose if I knew I was being experimented on, I could pay extra attention to the sounds and smells of each event, or even pinch myself to increase the sensory information attached to teach memory. Less likely to be fooled.

I cut my hair last night and I feel better. I just like not having hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.