Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Now I remember what I was thinking of when I re-read Harrison Bergeron: that we have our own brain-interrupter devices called cell phones. Switches my brain from active mode to passive mode. An interrupt. A procrastinator's' dream device. "Engagement" is what companies want to see, tiny blips of neural activity to show them that I'm now receptive to their advertisements. Create a desire, offer a way to fulfill that desire. Move on to next desire.

I was just thinking about how I got in much better shape during the pandemic, and now I'm falling out of it because I keep leaving the house to do activities. Yesterday was a good day for exercising. I hope today is a good day for it too.

I try to imagine superheroes and other various great characters who have overcome hardship as motivation. Effort, regardless of strength or ability, is a spectrum. Learning how to put forth effort in an efficient way is a skill. The fuel for that effort, the willpower or motivation, is harder for most people. Everything is a trade-off, and when the external and internal sources are in conflict, that also takes up fuel. I imagine if there was a situation where the amount of food points I earned was directly related to the amount of working out I did, I'd be great at it because I get so dang hungry. 

Tie a pizza to a string and dangle it in front of my nose; I will carry you to the ends of the earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.