Thursday, August 12, 2004

Last night, I didn't fall asleep right away when I went to bed.

I laid there and read Mysteries of Pittsburgh and waited to feel sleepy. When next I looked up at the clock, it said 12:01.

"Hello, Midnight!" I thought.

We used to go way back, hang out all the time, and seldom go a day without seeing each other.

I listened to the wind as it howled, mournful and fierce. I rolled out of bed.

I threw on my work clothes that were still in a heap by my bed where I had unceremoniously stepped out of them. I grabbed my keys, my phone, and the pack of cigarettes I've been struggling to finish. (Blame Spider Jerusalem for being a bad influence and making me want to smoke even though it makes me feel ill to do so.)

I drove for a little while. Gusts of wind nudged my car from side to side. At least, I think it was the wind. Since having my tires changed, I hadn't yet double-checked the alignment and lug-nuts. I don't have anything against good ol' American work-ethic, but I've heard tales from my friends that worked at tire shops. They were not reassuring.

I decided I didn't feel like driving, so I parked at Kiwanis Park and began to walk.

I paused and struggled to light my cigarette. I began to walk again, a little unsteadily because I'm still not accustomed to nicotine.

Despite the stiff breeze, the night was still warm. My work attire did not help any, despite having opted for sandals instead of my dress shoes. I unbuttoned my dress shirt and in doing so spilled ash onto my undershirt. Oh well, that's why it's an undershirt.

The wind tugged at my shirt-tails. I held the cigarette out at arms length into the breeze. It flared red. I imagined the wind was taking a drag, sparing me from further destroying my health.

A noble gesture.

The cigarette depleted of it's stimulants, I ground it out. I checked to make sure it was dead, then found a trashcan and threw it inside.

The wind nudged me urgently. I decided that I no longer wanted to walk. I drove home and got back into bed. I read for another hour before sleep came and took me. I dreamt of clouds, and of an enormous house full of very small rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.