Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Since I Already Lost The Argument About "Take On Me" Being The Best 80's Song To "Anything, Anything"

Jared: I must point out that no one seems to be trying to prove that God doesn't exist, more that the reason to believe so is about as good (or as bad) as the reason to believe anything else.

John Q. Public: I find it ironic and amusing that you are repeating Miguel's statement that we have brought nothing new to the table.

Joey: Donovan never qualified his statement by saying that there are ONLY two ways of looking at things. But I understand what you are suggesting. Although, under your own theory, what you said is immediately invalidated because it now falls under "Your side". Following your theory, having ANY opinion at all is a step in the wrong direction. The classification system you are proposing suggests that knowledge-seeking is merely the futile exercise of an impotent mind incapable of ever knowing truth.

Miguel: I saw your princess; she went that-a-way.

Trevor: See you at Temple!

Kermit: Rock.

Jamie: Yet again, a barefoot boy on a raft has shown us the way.

Iggy: The Man is not trying to keep you down because you are a woman. It's because you're a minority. Obviously.

Jake: As far as serving yourself=serving the devil, that tells much of the religion. The concept of Man being synonymous with evil. It is more of a celebration of sin, in which the farther one has fallen, the greater the redemption. You see the same principle in effect in stories of the active devil pursuing the "good souls" with more enthusiasm than the "bad souls."

During the time I spent at church as part of my upbringing, I noticed the opposite of the "Holier-than-thou" speakers. How many times have you heard someone say, "Now, I'm the last person who deserves to be saved because..." then go on about how terrible they were and still are.

It's part of the culture, it seemed. Reveling in the worthlessness of a human being, the shame of being alive, the torment of having to exist on the planet Earth, away from wherever God is.

Whenever I'd hear someone proclaiming how sinful they were, I wanted to ask them, "Why, have you killed anybody?" If they had answered "No," then I'd have told them that they were doing a-pretty-pretty good.

I always thought church would make more sense if people went to celebrate and share the good deeds they've done during the week instead of mentally flagellate themselves over their impure thoughts.

I just don't think you have to suffer to become a good person. I think I'm a good guy and I'm usually having a great time.

Well, not a good-good guy. It would be most accurate to say that the Boondock Saints would never come after me.

But as religions go, I always say that there are worse things you can do than try to emulate Jesus.

I'm going to end this discussion, at least on here. I don't want the advertising-robots to start jamming my banner with ads like "Order Your Very Own 'Not My God!' Bumper Stickers!" and "Every Nihilist Has Gotta Have A 100% Cotton ' I Don't Believe In Shirt!' Shirt!"

Although, I have always wanted a window decal of the Darwin-Fish and the Jesus-Fish...dueling with light sabers.

D-Fish: "Jesus-Fish. [draws a hissing breath] I am your father!"

J-Fish: "No! I'm my father!"

Sweeeet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.