Friday, June 11, 2004

In Response To Jared (not Sibbitt)

Jared, I understand what you're describing. I actually call it the "bubble of free will" theory. Fate or God or whatever designates a few major events in your life (i.e., car accident, presidency, Strong Bad answering your e-mail, etc.) and then you just run around until these events happen.

Fun to think about, but still contradictory.

A "perfect will" and a "general will" (or more accurately, a "less-perfect will") as two separate forces that act upon each individual do not reconcile with the definition of God.

I'm told that God doesn't do less than perfect.

Free will does not exist if God's will is paramount.

This is another idea that I have been told to credit to the great mystery, to shut my mouth and accept as fact.

Even though human beings are quite adept at going around with several contradictory points of view, I find that life is a helluva lot easier when I don't.

Since you brought up the subject of games, here is another popular one:

Pascal's Wager

Let's see...Pascal pretty much said "Okay, God either does or does not exist. Now, if God exists and you follow the rules, then your reward is infinite happiness. If God exists and you don't follow the rules, then you win infinite torment.

Now, if God doesn't exist and you follow the rules, well, then at least you've lived a pretty decent life, right? If God doesn't exist and you don't follow the rules, then you might have had a good time but your life was devoid of real happiness that comes with having a sense of purpose."

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes. So, what do you bet?

You are betting that God exists.

I am betting differently.

I think Pascal glossed over a significant point. If you are following rules for a God that doesn't exist as you believe it to, you're kinda throwing away what your life at the moment; what you do have.

I'm not saying drink all night and eat candy all day, but if you're passing up all your opportunities to experience life because you believe there is something better (even though no one can tell you exactly what that is), I'd call that a poor bet.

Pascal's said to believe in God because you have nothing to lose.

I disagree. You can lose the only thing you have, the only thing anyone in the world has. We all have exactly one chip with which to bet. On that chip, soldered into the cheap plastic, are the words "Right Now."

Myself, I'm about to go place that chip down on some Macbeth auditions (a play which also deals with Fate vs Free Will). I guess they liked my audition on Tuesday because I got called back.

Either that or they want to tell me that I'm terrible directly to my face. Eh, wouldn't be the first time.

Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.