Thursday, May 27, 2004

[Journal entry 5-26-04. 7:05 am.]

I'm about to go in for my first day of work. It isn't particularly difficult for me since I've just discovered what I'll be making every two weeks. I'm fonna be blingin'.

Still a lot of concern, confusion, and contension. But still plenty of hope. As Danny Queener might say, it's time to "git 'er done."

Let's do this.

[7:40 am]

Stole my thunder. I'm almost 20 minutes early. I should be ok. I have my notebook, a pen, a paperback copy of Good Omens, and a banana-nut bar. Send me to the trenches; I'm that prepared.

Although...I wonder what I'm going to have to do for lunch around here. Maybe they have their own cafeteria! That would be neat. I doubt it, though. Why would they? They're a large building, but hardly.

Plenty of new faces. Plenty of me wondering if these are people I'm going to meet, work with, befriend, or never see again.

I think I'm going to have to be careful.

The plan for today is to work.

[8:10 am]

Lobby music. An elevator music version of "Changes". IS-209 forms. I'm the only person I've seen around here with my shirt untucked. I feel like a rebel.

This is Hell. An easy-listening, khaki-and-polo Hell. There are huge windows. I can see a golf course. Very lush, with lots of trees, cool grass, and a plenty of big rocks to sit on. There is also a sand trap. My volleyball is in my car. Now, if I can just find a claims adjuster with a portable net, I'll be in business.

Maybe I'll be able to sneak out there on my break.

Oh God. They're talking about traffic. [Two employees.]

A new song! It sounds like...it is! It's someone's rendition of U2's "With Or Without You" on an E-Z-Play guitar and a pan flute. Talk about whoring out your art. U2 is prostituting their music to lobbies across the globe. Wednesday, bloody Wednesday.

I'm just being whiny. I don't remember how to work.

[1:00 pm.]

They do have a cafeteria!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.