Tuesday, April 06, 2004

In my experience, there has never been much demand for an ex-assistant preschool teacher/former lifeguard/in-home care-provider for the developmentally disabled that has also received military training and has a background in the performing arts.

Until now.

I have been offered an opportunity to become a counselor at a summer camp for children and teens that have physical and/or mental disabilities.

It sounds like fun.

The catch, you say? Well....

It's ten weeks long. I'd be living in a dormitory environment. No internet except on weekends. The pay isn't great.

So not much blogging and not much bling'.

But I would be using so much of the skills I do have. It will be an odd amalgam of all the training I've received at the other individual jobs I've held. All those jobs will finally pay off. I mean, aside from the, you know, actual money that they paid to me.

Eh...

I'll be doing something that I very much enjoy.

I really think I'm going to do it.

Ten weeks is a very long time. Especially when I know that after it's all over I'll be plunked right back here where I started.

But then, is there an adventurer alive that wouldn't love to have that kind of guarantee?

I think this will be good. I'm afraid, though. I'm not too good at being alone. It has been almost exactly four years since I've been away from my family, my friends, and my home for more than two weeks.

But I think that decision is coming. I have to know if there is enough of me here, where I am. I want to know if there is more of me out there, just waiting.

I think I already know. I just want to be sure.

A certain Hobbitt said something that perfectly sums up the way I've been feeling lately.

"I believe I'm quite ready for another adventure."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.