Sunday, February 15, 2004

I guess I forgot to keep in mind some of the web log ettiquette.

In my de-linking frenzy, I may have offended some people.

I guess I should re-state my linking policy: "My links are tailored to suit what I like and what I need."

What I like are my LiveJournalers.

What I need is to respect that a live-journal is geared towards privacy, with options to help prevent internet spiders from searching them, comment-blocking, and pre-approved viewing access.

Blogger is geared more towards being a pirate. Sailing the seas of the internet, tattooed, gold-toothed, eye-patched, and with a shining cutlass always drawn to meet all comers. "Avast, ye Google-spiders! Dare ye crawl aboard my vessel? Dare ye infest my dear ship? Meet then, my hook, so that it may give your little robot innards a taste of the glorious sea-air! And to all ye anonymous commentors, you are welcome to prance on the decks, but expect not to share in our ascorbics should scurvy overcome ye!"

Yes, well, I mean that blogs are a bit more vulnerable to the internet-savvy. The risk of being caught by the British Navy (i.e., the Man) is greater, and nary a day goes by that I do not clutch my throat in fear as the haunting image of a noose floats before me.

Luis found my blog, by the way. He says he likes it. I found myself less bothered by it than I would have thought. I guess I'm just glad that he's reading. I also realized that I don't have a problem with my little brother knowing me as a complete person instead of just from what he sees of me at home. If he is tackling a particular challenge in life that he knows I also faced, even if the information turns out to be of no use to him, I would hope that he finds some assurance that yes, other people have to deal with that sort of thing too. Even big brothers. Especially big brothers.

The truth sets you free. Except for your mom. Don't tell her the truth; she doesn't want to know.

What was I talking about? Luis...pirates...de-linking...

Oh, yeah.

Just because I de-linked the live-journals doesn't mean that I don't still like you, or don't still need you. I just don't need you here, on this little blog. I still have every one of you on my friend's page, and let me just say that a friend's page is so astoundingly convenient and easy to use, I wasn't even using the individual links I had on here anymore.

But other people were. Stow-aways, if you will. My trusty site-meter tells me how people find me, and I do notice when people are searching for specific names. It makes me wary. Everytime I see a name searched that was sent to here I frantically try to recall everything I ever said about the person and if whatever I did say would incriminate them in any way.

Stow-aways finding live-journals was making me fear for my friends' privacy, so I put a stop to it. I knew it might offend people. I just want to elaborate on my decision. Then if people are still offended, at least they will know exactly why the are offended.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am currently in Studio City, California. Brian Y. and I got a call from Erin M. (fellow bar-fly and Family Guy) late Friday night, so I ditched work Saturday morning and the two of us drove about 400 miles to come and visit her and Julie. Well, we have other people to visit, and the girls are awake so I am finally able to use the bathroom after several excruciating hours. Hence the rambling length of this particular post.

If someone tells you that you can't type away bladder pain, they're stinking liars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.