Wednesday, January 28, 2004

I am afraid. I am very afraid.

On Monday, about mid-morning, I was in my news-writing class. We all sit at computers, and today I happened to be sitting by this girl. Well, I'm typing up the notes from my interview with the assistant Dean of SMCC when she starts talking to me. This is the first time we've talked, although this is our third time attending the class.

I'm a fairly friendly guy, so we talk for a bit. She mentions that she might have to miss a few classes, so she asks for my phone number so that she can call me to see what she's missed.

This isn't uncommon; I've done this before.

I say okay, sure, and give her my cell phone number.

That was Monday, as I said.

She has called me nine times. Nine.

I have only actually spoken to her once since she started called me on Monday. I was napping during the first barrage of calls (all within 20 minutes of each other) so I didn't answer my phone. She left no messages. A couple of hours later when I was working out, the second bombardment of calls came. She did the same every 20 minute thing, except on the third call she left a message. I didn't answer because I still haven't figured out how to bench press and talk on the phone at the same time. Hell, I'm still working on figuring out the bench press.

When I uneasily called her back, I got a message saying that her voice mail wasn't set up. I went about my business, culminating in going to sleep.

At 7:40 am, my phone rings. I bolt up in bed, alarmed. Why would anyone call me at this hour? I look at the caller ID and see a number that has become very, very, familiar. Aw, hellz naw. I turn my phone on mute, roll over, and go back to sleep for another hour.

After I wake up properly and shower, I call her again. She answers this time.

Her: Hello?

Me: Hi, it's Guillermo, from class.

Her: Oh, hi! I'm so sorry I missed your call last night.

Me: It's no big deal.

Her: No, really, I'm so sorry.

Me: Okay.

Her: So what are you doing today?

Me: (not liking where this is going) School and work, as usual.

Her: Do you have some free time? Would you want to come over and hang out?

Me: (fears affirmed, decide to go with honesty) ...No, not really.

Her: Why not?

Me: (sticking to guns) Honestly, I don't really know you.

Her: Well, we can get to know each other if you come over and hang out.

Me: I really don't think so.

Her: What? Did you say you like me too?

Me: (Oh, dear God.) No, no, I didn't. I'm going to go now.

Her: Why?

Me: I have class soon.

Her: Well, call me later.

Me: I'll see you in class.

Her: So when are you going to call me?

Me: Eh, I'll just see you in class.

Class is soon. Too soon.

If I suddenly stop blogging and you don't see a death post, assume that I've been kidnapped or have gone into hiding.

Is there a moral here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.