Monday, December 29, 2003

Setting: Gurgle Inc., a large store that sells time. Methinks, a lovely young woman and recent customer, enters stage left and approaches a young fellow in an ill-fitting suit, (one of the salesgurgs that work for Gurgle Inc.

Methinks: I'm here to complain about the two minutes you sold me sometime back.

Salesgurg: Were they unsatisfactory?

Methinks: It seems there was some trouble back at the factory, and they made these defective 2 minutes which were really long. I would like to exchange them
for um... well, what can you change them for?

Salesgurg: Of course, of course. Here at Gurgle Inc., customer satisfaction is our top priority. Let's see...hmm, it appears that the first minute is completely okay. Ah, here's the problem! The second minute had a skip in it. Very common problem, probably just mishandled at some point. Just like a scratched CD, it will get stuck and play over and over and over.

Methinks: Mishandled. Mishandled?! Excuse me, I used it very carefully. By the time it was time for the second minute... time just stopped

Salesgurg: Ma'am, I did not accuse anyone in particular of mishandling it.

Methinks: Well, now what do I do with the second minute?

Salesgurg: Hmm...not everyone has the opportunity to get back an entire minute of their life.

Methinks: Could you remedy it? I heard someone say you work miracles.

Salesgurg: Was it one of our Public Relations people?

Methinks: I have a bad memory.

Salesgurg: Nice guys, but don't believe them.

Methinks: Ah, ok. But it'd have been lovely to be able to believe him. Well?

Salesgurg: I didn't say we couldn't work miracles. Just never believe the PR guys. They're all really nice, though.

Methinks: Friends of yours?

Salesgurg: You could invest this minute, and see how it grows. Minutes become hours, hours become days, days become years, years become lifetimes. Oh, I'm sorry. The PR guys? I see them briefly at the end of the day. Sometimes we go out, grab a drink and a sandwich.

Methinks: You spend a lot of your precious minutes with them.

Salesgurg: Heh, I file those minutes under "Business Expenses."

Methinks: Say, if you would care to spend a precious minute with me, can you tell me, wise one, how to invest a minute so that it yields an hour?

Salesgurg: To be honest, it does not actually yield an hour. But the minute will be worth an hour, you see.

Methinks: Ah! Illumination at last. Now I guess I can make up the defectively long two minutes to myself.

Salesgurg: I'll tell you what: I don't usually do this, but here's my card. Call me, and I'll take care of those two minutes for you, free of charge.

Methinks: Aw, thanks so much.

Salesgurg: Please consider it a little Thank You for doing business with us.

Methinks: One rarely comes across such open-hearted generosity.

Salesgurg: Too rarely, I'm afraid.

The End

Based on a conversation with Methinks. Okay, it isn't based on so much as taken straight from it. It's just a germ of an idea, but perhaps in time it will grow.

1 comment:

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.