Sunday, November 16, 2003

My blog may be careening downhill, but at least my free-styling abilities are holding strong:

George, one of my co-workers, was bustin' some rhymes in the next cubicle. One line in particular jumped out and caught my attention: "They call me 'Thundercat' 'cause I got so many hos!" He paused, and I saw my chance.

"Can't none of 'em believe how long my Sword of Omens grows!"

We'll be touring this spring as "G-2-G." You're all invited backstage after the show for 40's and cartoons.

* * * * * *

Speaking of old cartoons, there is a new Peter Pan movie coming out, and I'm not going to lie, I'll probably go see it. But not for Peter Pan. I want to see how the movie portrays Captain Hook.

The Disney movie (being a Disney movie) made him, understandably, a cartoony old bad guy. But I think Captain Hook is one of the greatest villains of all time. Not from Disney's portrayal, but from the short-lived animated series Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates.

That show was awesome. It was based much more on the book than Disney movie, so the characters weren't all bright and colorful. No tights for Peter Pan; he wore an earth-toned suit thing. Come to think of it, he wasn't an elf/sprite either, at least, he had normal ears. Captain Hook was this huge, muscular, guy (voiced by Tim Curry) and he was a complete bad-ass. He could climb up the sides of trees, cliffs, or even the ship using his hook, almost Wolverine-style.

And sure, he wanted to kill Peter Pan, but not at all costs.

One of my favorite episodes was when Wendy and the Lost Boys were trying to put on a performance of Romeo and Juliet and Hook actually demanded a temporary truce so that he could show them how to properly perform Shakespeare.

There was also an episode that showed how Peter cut off Hook's hand.

Now that's how you represent your 'hood; lop off a fool's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.