Saturday, October 18, 2003

The Apology

I'm sorry I spent most of last night just listening to music in my living room with the lights off. Well, no, I actually had a red light on that Amy had brought over so I that I could see well enough to write in my little notebook in case the mood struck me.

But the only mood that struck me was the sleeping mood. For the first time in a long time, I fell asleep at a humane hour (1 am) and awoke around 9 am. I'm not used to all this daylight. Sun, damn you, set!

Catholic Church - 1, Gurg - 10 jillion

In a few hours, I will go to church for the first time in four years.

My baby cousin, Tamara, is going to be baptized. This is supposed to prevent her from going to Limbo, which is where un-baptized babies go when they die.

See? Catholicism has something fun for everyone!

I didn't attend the various ceremonies of my younger sister, brother, and even of my beloved niece on principle. I am not a fan of the church. And I think as they all grow older, it may be important that they have someone in the family that has repeatedly butted heads with tradition. I think it will be good for them to know that not everyone thinks a certain way, and that there isn't anything inherently evil in questioning what's going on.

But it has been tough to see how hurt my family can get when I don't attend something that is obviously very important to them. Despite all that, I've stuck to my guns.

But I'm going this time.

I was discussing my dilemma with Brian Y the other night when I thought of something. Usually, I try to figure things out by comparing them to other similar situations.

For instance, say I'm walking down the street just minding my own business, when I come across a group of Native Americans doing a traditional Rain Dance. "Hey, Guillermo!" one might call out.

"What it is, Lone Cloud?"

"Come and do the Rain Dance with us!"

"What for?"

"To make it rain!"

"Oh, okay! Why not?"

And I would have no problem with that. So I'll go this time and make my family happy, even though they know how I really feel about it.

Of course, you can go to Hell for going to Church and not really wanting to be there. I'll take my chances, though. And by that I mean I won't be bringing my umbrella.

Thanks, Methinks!

I think the "official" title of this survey is "The ABC's of me," but I'm calling it "FYFI!"

A - Act your age - People that meet me for the first time usually think I'm older than 21, but people that meet me for the first time when I'm running around playing with my little cousins usually think I'm younger than 21.

B - Boyfriend? - Boyfriend? No boyfriend. I am a boy. I'm starting to think this wasn't really meant for guys to take...

C - Chore you hate? - Laundry, now that I don't get paid to do it.

D - Dad's name - Leonel aka Old Man!

E - Essential make up item - Does this mean when I've gotten in an argument with a girl and need to make up with her? Or like face make-up? Either way, I'm going with eye-liner.

F - Favorite artist - Radiohead I dig, and the soundtrack to "Kill Bill" is sweet, and I've been listening to some Phillip Glass as well.

G - Gold or silver - Well, gold is the most malleable and ductile metal, but silver is a little harder and has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity, so I'll go with silver.

H - Hometown - Phoenix, Arizona. It still is, too.

I - Instruments you play - A couple songs on the harmonica, I can play the violin, but just barely. And Jake G. taught me the first few bars of "Disarm" by the Smashing Pumpkins on the guitar, but I've since forgotten.

J - Job titles - Still searching for someone who will pay me to be a full-time Gurg.

K - Kids - Ha!

L - Living arrangements - I live in a three bedroom house in the heart of Tempe, with a great Mai, Paige, who I used to date long before she moved in, and a couple of cats. But not for very much longer, I fear.

M - Mom's name - MAMA!

N - Number of people you've slept with - A gentlemen does not discuss such things. Not sober, anyway.

O - Overnight hospital stays - I've managed to keep my injuries in the sew-and-go variety.

P - Phobia - Sloth underwater.

Q - Quote you like - "Parting is all we truly know of Love, and we need to know of Hell." Beast said that to Cyclops during after Jean Grey "died" in the animated series.

R - Religious affiliation - None. Unless you count Pan, the goat god.

S - Siblings - One older brother (the one who is always swearing on my comments) a younger brother in the Army, a younger sister in Mexico, and a youngest brother at my parent's house.

T - Time you wake up - Around lunch time, usually.

U - Unique habit - Climbing up the walls.

V - Vegetable you refuse to eat - Sloth underwater.

W - Worst habit - Regular sloth, the laziness kind.

X - X-rays you've had - Just one when I broke my thumb, unless you count those dental ones where they jam those paper razor blades into your mouth.

Y - Yummy food you make - I have been told that I make the best eggs. Mostly by other drunk people, but a couple of sober people have attested to the same thing. My dad taught me how to cook eggs. Personally, I am one of the best scrounger cooks I know. When people say that "There's nothing to eat," I love proving them wrong.

Z - Zodiac Sign - Taurus, cusp with Subaru WRX.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.