Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Jaded Noir Detective Chronicles: The Chihuahua Chase

As I was driving home yesterday, a Chihuahua was running back and forth across the street. I sighed, stopped the car, and started to step out. Another car also stopped and a woman got out. I felt a little bit of hope. 

Working together, we tried to corral the dog. He darted down the easement, a wide dirt access road that runs beneath the massive steel power lines bisect my neighborhood. 

I jumped back into my car and sped around to cut the dog off. Opal (the woman's name turned out to be Opal) chased the dog on foot. 

The dog cut across the street and into the next part of the easement before I got there. Opal jumped into my car and we raced to the next one. This time I jumped out and cornered the dog. He juked past me and I gave chase. I yelled at Opal to take my car and meet me at the end of the alley. She did, and I chased the dog this time. At the end of the alley was a dead-end, and we were sure we had him now. But no, as we pincered him into a corner, he slipped through this tiny space where a block wall met a wooden fence, and he was gone into someone's back yard. That person had metal fencing on the other side and the Chihuahua easily slipped through and was gone. 

Opal and I trudged back through the dusty alley back to my car and I drove her back to her car. I thanked her for her help, we introduced ourselves, and then said goodbye. We hadn't succeeded but at least we tried. 

My house is on the corner, and this morning as I pulled out to work, that Chihuahua was lying there on the opposite corner by the stop sign. Looks like he'd been hit by a car. My sister had already called Animal Control so there was nothing else I could do for the dog. He was running through traffic in heaven now, being chased by a choir of angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, topic suggestions, and your vote for worst sentence can be made here: