Thursday, November 04, 2021

Oh hey, the YouTube music app which I've mostly hated since its latest update has a playlist called '00's Indie Scene. Was this indie music? I know most of these songs. I don't remember being in the indie scene. Is this app stretching the truth here? I'm pretty sure most of these songs were on the popular radio stations, or at least used in movie trailers. Maybe that's it. If your song was used in a non-blockbuster movie trailer or technology commercial, you're indie. Mystery solved, next!

And I, myself, have been wondering many things. 

While I was streaming, someone brought up cancel culture and I said it doesn't really exist, but I didn't elaborate on it or think much about it further. It's one of those moments where I say something, and I'm pretty sure there's a reason I hold that particular view, but I can't recall the reason. It makes me wary.

I think it's because I was thinking about how job applications ask you if you're a convicted felon and how that's been around ever since I've been applying for jobs. I think the main reason people see this thing they call cancel culture is because people have become "content creators" and they are the product, and the specific content you're creating doesn't really matter because in most cases, your value to the company is based on ad revenue and how you build their brand. 

There's some nuance, I suppose, in which platforms may not allow you to use their services to broadcast yourself, but in our current system, it's a cost-benefit analysis. If you're costing more than you bring in, so long!

It's interesting though, that people who decry cancel culture and I probably agree in the broad strokes that a system in which people's livelihood has become dependent on their perceived personally-held beliefs is a concern.

And that it doesn't matter if it's correct; if it's believed by the "voting bloc", that's the behavior you have to factor in, as a company.

This isn't a bug; it's a feature. So now it's something I have to consider when I broadcast my game play on Twitch. That and not ripping a big fart while my microphone is live. That's just not the kind of humor I'm interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.