Wednesday, November 15, 2006



How many generations away are we from being cavemen?

One.

Or so I used to think. The latest evidence (if genetic sequencing can be considered evidence (pipe down you CSI fans)) shows that Homo neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens differ in their genetic code by oh, about .5 percent.

So more like half a generation away from being caveman?

There's also some speculation about human-on-Neanderthal action. Yes, I mean knockin' dinosaur-skin boots. That's right, layin' down by the cave fire. And by that I'm implying they interbred. That is, science is implying they interbred. I'd heard them Neanderthal womens would get all-up-ons anything in that genus after half a clay mug of fermented berry juice but dang I can't really talk informed jive about a species that hasn't been around for 30 thousand years or so.

That would mean Jean Auel might have gotten something right in her books but I don't know if I'm convinced about the rest of her speculations. I should have realized something was amiss by the cover of her first book in the series which clearly shows a cave bear about to high-five another cave bear. The other cave bear isn't pictured, but it's obviously there because then who's the bear saying "W'sup?" to? A cave-badger or something? Unlikely.



As I go about my day tomorrow, I intend to be on the look-out for any half-Neanderthal ancestors. 'Specially those ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.