Tuesday, February 28, 2006



Ben O. and I have been running quite a bit in the past month. However, I've been severely slacking and I decided to hunt around for something that will up the stakes a bit. I think I found it.

It is the Whiskey Row Marathon in Prescott, Arizona. The race will be on May 6th (less than a week before my 24th birthday.)

It is supposed to be one of the more grueling marathons. Well, the description given is "This out and back course is considered one of the most challenging in the United States. Starting at 5,280 feet, the elevation increases to 7,000 feet over the first 7 miles, then down to 5,600 feet at the 13 mile turn around. The course is paved road for the first and last 5 miles, while the rest is on Forest Service dirt road in the cool pines. The course offers panoramic views of Northern Arizona peaks."

And in a completely unnecessary play on words, instead of water and sports-drink hydration points there will be mini-bars with various whiskey drinks. I doubt they'll have what I want. I take my whiskey neat, with a side of ice cream, thank you very much.

At this juncture, I'm not optimistic about completing the course but I'm pretty sure I won't have much of a choice. My options are to either finish the race or to stand in the forest shouting "I'm done!" until a magical badger gives me a lift in his magical badger wagon that runs on pinecones.

No, that would be unrealistic. Magical badgers are just as likely to maul the shit out of you as the non-magical ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.