Thursday, March 31, 2005

It's English Lesson Time!


Whenever a word has multiple definitions (or, in most cases, similar meanings with subtle connotations), the context will determine which use the author most likely intended.


Or you can ask the author, I guess.


When I used the word "malaise" in a previous post I was aware that there is the mental aspect of malaise and the physical aspect of malaise. In this case, I was referring to mental unease and moral ill-being at my work and not to a raging epidemic.


I understand that this may not be clear right away. However, I also believe that any questions on my word choice would be resolved upon further reading.


Firstly, since I am a low-level mail clerk, it is highly unlikely that my supervisor would seek out my prognosis on any medical matter. Perhaps if there was an illness going around that I absolutely knew was fatal, like the seemingly rampant crania-implodus, then my prognosis would be "You gonna die."


But alas, I am no doctor. So that's one strike against the physical meaning of malaise.


The second and most authoritative clue would have to be that in my reply I again fail to mention anything medical or physical. I even specifically use the word "mentality".


I hope this clears up any confusion. It is my desire that the aforementioned matter be understood by all. In other words, if you don't understand by now I would strongly suggest you look into a feeding tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.