Sunday, November 30, 2003

�You�re miserable, edgy, and tired. You�re in the perfect mood [for writing.]�

-Spider Jerusalem

I can�t really say that I�m any of those things, (perhaps tired,) but I am definitely aware that those conditions may be on the horizon. In the past 24 hours I have been confronted with more options regarding my next step �in my great/nonexistent plan.�

Hmm. I don�t really like typing on a standard keyboard. I much prefer my laptop to type on. The keys on my laptop required a more delicate touch. I clunk away at this dirty hunk of plastic in front of me and resent that other hands have touched it, that other ideas have been wrested from them.

There was more to my little laptop than just a keyboard that demanded finesse and that damn touch-mouse-pad thing that I don�t know how many times I�ve brushed against and inadvertently erased entire paragraphs of text.

My laptop�s appeal lay in how I would work with it.

Perhaps you recall the attempt to launch an internet access service that would function through your television. A sleek, wireless, keyboard would allow you to essentially what you are doing right now: meander through the gobs of information.

Internet television did not catch on. While I�m not sure of the quality of the internet service provided and how that may have contributed, I�m sure it wasn�t the greatest factor in the failure equation of this product. People sit at a computer, up close, personal, face practically against the glass.

People watch television sitting further away, slouched, reclining, practically apathetic.

And people are conditioned very easily.

The majority of my writing was done under very exact conditions:

1. The time had to be at least 3 am.
2. I should have just emerged, still dripping, from the shower, wrapped in my fluffy, yellow towel and wearing my glasses instead of my contact lenses.
3. I had to feel left completely alone.

I would have to feel that it was just the two of us, my laptop and I. I would huddle over it the way a transient huddles over a blazing trash barrel in a snow-drowned alley.

I haven�t written anything on my laptop in a while.

I have a couple of options right now: Work as a deep-sea fisherman in Alaska for about three months�.
Or

Try to get a job as a teaching assistant for a local high school�s Special Education department.

There are pros and cons to both positions. I�m still debating.

Been feeling a bit isolated. Now that I don�t live so closely to my friends, I�ve been becoming a bit more solitary. Not that I�m surprised. At this point, my levels of interaction and withdrawal have become predictably cyclical.

Hmm�now that I think about it, the spastic posting may be another sign of withdrawal.

I hear Alaska is nice this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.