Wednesday, July 16, 2003

I was watering my lawn and drinking a Forty around 11:00 or so tonight talking to my neighbor Uzra when she asked me if I had a girlfriend. I was caught a bit off guard, but I managed to give her an honest answer.
"No."

Then she asked me why.

I wanted to just yell, "Why?! You should read my last post! All the girls I know are probably afraid to even hug me now!"

But of course I didn't yell that. It might have woken the other neighbors that weren't college students and I try to be a considerate neighbor.

I also didn't feel it necessary to point out that I was drinking while watering my lawn.

It was a very good question, though. There are so many people in the world, the country, the state, the city, the neighborhood...you would think it would be possible to find at least one. Then again, humans are so complex I wouldn't be too surprised if there really weren't enough. Rascally creatures.

I read Kurt Vonnegut's "Slapstick" the other night and in the prologue he writes about how it is very natural for him to speak of life and not include love.

Then the next book I read (am reading) is the Dalai Lama's "The Art of Happiness." It was just a coincidence, but he also spoke of living without love.

I'm pretty sure that both were speaking of the romantic idea of the "Soul Mate," the one true love that is out there just waiting to be found. Apparently it sets you up for failure. But what do a master of contemporary literature and a spiritual leader of millions know anyway?

I'm just musing at the moment. I have a feeling that if I continue this could develop into full-blown brooding and nobody wants that.

Unless it, um, turns you on. Baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.