Thursday, April 10, 2003

Still The Big Brother?

My little brother, Donaldo, is somewhere in Iraq right now, possibly inside a liberated Baghdad. I am proud of him. I don't honestly know what he thought of the war, or what he's seen and done since I haven't received a letter from him since it started. But I can't wait to hear it.

I am a bit worried about what he will be like when he comes back home. For me, I mean. What if he takes every opportunity to rub it in?

Donaldo: "Yeah, so I liberated a country."
Me: "Um, I started a weblog."
Donaldo: "Hey, that's cool."
Me: "Not really, I still don't even know how to put pictures on it."

On a less global note, I interviewed for an internship at Walt Disney World today. I had to attend a presentation at 6:00 pm down at ASU. If I didn't attend the interview, I would be ineligible to apply. So a little after five I had gotten all business-casual and hopped in my car. I turned the key. The engine made a half-hearted attempt to start, realized that it was only lying to itself, and quit. I harnessed all my mechanical knowledge and plotted my next move. I sat for a minute, then turned the key again. An interesting noise, but little else. My car was not going anywhere very soon.

But I didn't share my car's stationary aspirations. I popped the trunk and whipped out my discount skateboard. Best 14 dollars I've ever spent. I grabbed the folder containing the printout of my online application, the resume I had worked on until three this morning, and of course, a pen, and rolled triumphantly towards ASU.

The interview was to be held in the Student Services Senter Ampitheater. I straightened myself up a bit and proceeded towards the entrance. As I was walking, I heard the enthusiastic voice of a certain Mikey Rodriguez. He was speaking to a a group of people in maroon shirts outside of Student Services. He finished whatever he was saying and began to walk in the direction opposite from me. Well, I would have none of that, so I sprinted towards him and tackled him. We talk for a minute and then he goes on his way. I was disheveled again, so I straightened myself out and walked in the Center. That's when I noticed that the glass walls, though difficult to see into from the outside due to the sunlight, provided a fine view of the outside to whomever might be gazing out of them. The one's gazing out this particular evening were the people I was going to try to impress in a few minutes. I played it cool, though.

Yeah, I tackled that guy. What, you want some?

No, the Disney Representatives just introduced themselves and bade me take a seat (probably for fear of being tackled.) I did just that, and the rest went as well as could be expected.

I don't know if I will be accepted. If I am, I don't know if I'll go. Seven months is a very long time. Orlando is very far away. Disney is very Disney.

Eh, I will burn that bridge when I come to it. I've just been running around setting up my options the way a little kid sets up dominos. I may not have much time, and there is still one domino, the most important one, yet unplaced.

I used to like dominos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.