Saturday, March 14, 2020

Hot Take: Americans, taken as a whole, are not great at understanding science. Accordingly, we're not great about explaining science.

Scientific observation tells me that an illness that may require hospitalization is spreading in a population. The population isn't vaccinated against it, so we can't rely on herd immunity to protect the most vulnerable people like we do with other diseases.

Discussions on the lethality of the virus are something we can have, but it's not necessary. It's not zero percent, is the point.

The ability of our healthcare system to treat the people who need to be treated to prevent their death is not 100 percent.

Somewhere in between those two numbers is where our differences of opinion lie.

I'm not worried about myself, for example, but I am worried about the same people that I'd be worried about if they got the flu.

I'm also worried that if they all get sick at the same time, they won't get the help they need.

Pick a hundred people you care about. Now pick 2 you're okay with being hospitalized.

Now pick one of those to be turned away from a hospital because there's no room for them.

My personal goal is to slow the spread of the disease so it doesn't overwhelm our healthcare services. If I get sick personally, I have stuff like insurance, personal savings, sick time at work, and generally good health on my side.

I almost just deleted this post because I was thinking what's the point. I guess the point is that I think I understand why you feel the way you do, and that whatever happens, I'm planning on trying to help you through this. Nothing is certain, whatever happens happens, and I am on the watch. For whatever that's worth. It's not zero percent, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.