Sunday, March 30, 2008





I went wandering around in the mountainous desert yesterday. The sun had long since set and I was enjoying picking my way along the winding path in the weak light when I heard a crunch crunch crunch. I was downwind and I turned to look. I could barely make out a shape coming towards me in the gloom. It looked human.

A silent debate ensued in my head as I struggled to decide the proper etiquette for announcing oneself without immediately being perceived as a rather large, scruffy, lawless and unpredictable Mexican boy, which of course I am.

I just said hello. In perfect English, mind you. Er, in as perfect as English gets. It's a little too guttural and nasal for my tastes.

The hiker jerked in surprise. I said hello again.

Turns out her name was Sarah and she had been lost for about an hour. She hadn't really planned on getting lost and had no light. I had my headlamp so I offered to help her find her way out. I had walked from my parent's house (as my father and I used to do when we kids were small) so it was no trouble at all. After about half an hour later we were at her car. I said goodnight and that perhaps we'd meet again under better circumstances. Then I continued on my way home.

I was pleased that I was able to be of use to someone.

But I kept looking back as I walked home. Who else, I wondered, might still be out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.