Saturday, September 10, 2005

I think I've made a breakthrough in sociolinguistics. I have answered the question "Why do people lie?"

I believe that the development of the lie went something like this:

The first job is created.

The first employee is hired.

The first employee is late for the first time.

The first employee/liar tells their boss that a dromeceiomimus seriously injured them but they decided to come to work anyway, albeit late.

The first employee/liar promptly becomes the first person to be "in between jobs."

I am going to be late to work in a few minutes. I want to be honest. I want to tell my boss that I was on my way out when my roommate, Virginia, yelled for me to come and try the makeshift slip-and-slide she had put together in the backyard.

How could I possibly say no?

So now I have to lie about why I'm late.

I may also have to think up a reason why my pants are wet.

Making socio-linguistics are hip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.