Tuesday, August 17, 2004

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the blog."

The times they are a-becoming much different.

I've been browsing through the settings on my blog and have discovered some interesting options.

And some interesting, less optional features. The Blogger Nav-Bar is up now, whether I like it or not. Since I'm using a template designed by David, the Nav-bar is taking a little too much off the top of my blog, like a barber going through heroin withdrawal.

As soon as I figure out how to correct that problem, the Nav-bar will be a welcome addition. Now, anyone searching for incriminating information will be able to search just this site. Bless you, Google. Bringing down empires one link at at time.

But it beats the hell out of digging through the archives. Especially since I can't even get to my archive link right now.

Feed This!

I am now a feed-site. This is an option that allows people with cell-phones, palm pilots, Blackberries, and the plethora of other technological devices that I don't understand, to download my content without all the green. I think.

The link to the feed is off to the left, under my AIM name. Says "Gurg Feed Site." Pretty clever, eh?

Let me know if you figure out exactly how it works. I think it's powered by elves. The Keebler Elves, perhaps. Those sylvan bastards have been lying low for a while...

I Rarely Say This, But "Yargh!"

This morning at work, as I was happily browsing through Google News, I was informed that, starting immediately, we are no longer allowed to use the internet. Not even during our break periods.

When I regained consciousness, I pondered this development.

My midnight posts have become scarcer and scarcer as my body has been reverting to it's more primitive, day-walking state. I've been using my lunch hour and breaks to catch up on my reading and on my blogging.

It was a definite change of pace. I think the greatest impact has been that my posts have become more haphazard, as I have less time to figure out how to express an idea. This isn't entirely negative. Writing with a deadline is a whole different world. It has certainly helped my focus, which has been extremely lacking lately. I tried to convince my boss to give me Ritalin just in case I have Attention-Deficit Disorder. He laughed, but he'd probably take me more seriously if he had seen me diving into the large, blue, plastic recycling bin in which we throw all the envelopes.

Well, he wouldn't have seen me, really, just my wildly-kicking legs sticking out of the top as I searched for an envelope that shouldn't have been thrown away. (I hadn't thrown it away, I was getting it for a friend. She was too short to reach all the way inside. Come to think of it, so was I.)
What was I talking about? Right, no internet. At first I thought, "That means no blog, unless I want to start staying up late and sleeping in my car during my lunch breaks again."

But then something niggled in the back of my brain. Methinks had told me some months ago about being able to blog via e-mail.

I checked it out on my settings just now. All you have to do is type out whatever you want and then send it to a "secret" blogger e-mail address. It should appear on the blog. Should. I haven't tried it yet.

But this e-mail option is crucial to the plan that was forming out of the mist in my head like cigarette smoke curling into words.

My work, in it's infinite wisdom, has set up an inter-office e-mail system. We all have our own little e-mail addresses just for work.

Currently, there is no restriction on e-mailing as long as one is using the inter-office service. To the casual observer, that is exactly what I will appear to be doing. "No trouble here, suh, just writin' this ol' inter-office e-mail."

I'll be able to do the same restricted activity I was doing before without fear of reprimand.

This is why it pays to study philosophy. You learn to master the ancient art of the loophole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.