Thursday, July 29, 2004

On The Floor At Comic-Con, San Diego



Photo taken by Kiki
 
Sunday morning in San Diego found me exhausted.

I got to meet some pretty cool authors.

Firstly, I met Greg Bear, author of Darwin's Radio.  His book won the Hugo Award (back in the days before the awards were dominated by a certain Mr. Potter.) 

We didn't have much to talk about.

I also met a man named Steven Barnes.  I talked to him for a bit.  I liked him well enough to buy one of his books.  I'm reading it right now and so far, I'm enjoying it.

I listened to Ray Bradbury speak.  It's the third time I've heard him in a panel discussion.  It's great.  Now, he's like the crazy old grandpa that comes around every Christmas and tells his wild stories.

I find it amazing that so many of his stories end with him calling someone a "stupid son of a bitch!"

Very inspiring, though.  You stupid sons of bitches.

The highlight of the trip was hearing Michael Chabon speak.  The San Diego Convention Center is full of conference rooms, and I was astounded when Brian and I entered and there were plenty of seats left.

After he spoke, we got to speak to him.  He's a really nice guy, very intelligent, well-spoken, and a tad effeminate.  The guy is married and has a kid, but I still found my eyebrow raising after hearing a few things he said.

Overall, I had a blast.  It was great hearing writers talk about writing.

There is little doubt that I will be there next year.

*  *  *  *

I don't like local news.  I don't like it even more lately.  We've been having something of a power problem here in Phoenix because a power transformer caught on fire.  The local news stations keep talking about the misadventures of a power transformer that is being transported here to replace it.

I don't watch a lot of television, but I walk by it a lot.  This morning, for the 20th time, I was walking to the shower and I hear the word "transformer."  I get all excited and I dash to the tv (nearly slipping and losing my towel) to listen because I think they are talking about "Transformers," the old cartoon show.  I'm still hoping for a movie about them someday.

*  *  *  *

I bought my first ever item on E-Bay yesterday.  I am now the proud owner of a sterling-silver albatross necklace.

"But Guillermo," you might be saying, "Aren't you taking this 'hubris' thing a little too far?"

That's kind of the point, ya stupid son of a bitch. 

Edit:  I apologize for being abusive.  I've been drinking a lot of coffee today.  I almost never drink coffee; I'm more of a depressant kind of guy.  I also think I may have a fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.