Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Today at work (this one time, at band camp,) we had a staff meeting. We were introduced to our new Director. I'm not sure what her position entails, but I'm pretty sure she has the power to fire each and every one of us.

The meeting consisted of a question and answer session. For an hour and a half.

I am certainly glad that I found out what her favorite type of food is.

Towards the end, everyone was running out of questions. There was a dragging moment of silence. So, I raised my hand.

"What is our purpose? I mean, really, what are we doing here?"

I heard someone sitting behind me mutter "Duh!"

I ignored them and leaned forward in anticipation.

She gave me the textbook answer, that we were an insurance company that takes high-risk claims, blah blah blah. Then she asked, "Did that answer your question?"

"Yes." I said. I was being semantic, which I do when I'm feeling snippy. She had given me an answer, surely. Just not the answer to the question I thought I was asking.

So now my entire department thinks I'm an idiot. Also, I've deduced that we will never be able to draw the blinds on our huge windows overlooking the scenic landscape. It interferes with the air conditioning, apparently.

And I have to be awake in three and a half hours.

[insert bitter expletive here]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.