Friday, November 14, 2003

Aesop, one of the greatest fabulists of all time/sixth century B.C.E Greek slave, is accredited with over 650 fables.

Many are well known, but I can't say I know even a hundred.

I did a bit of searching around, and I discovered why some of these aren't always told to kids. His fables are passed off as children's tales of warning, but they weren't intended to be. Try getting your little one to sleep soundly after hearing this tale:

The One-Eyed Doe

A Doe had the misfortune to lose one of her eyes, and
could not see any one approaching her on that side. So to avoid
any danger she always used to feed on a high cliff near the sea,
with her sound eye looking towards the land. By this means she
could see whenever the hunters approached her on land, and often
escaped by this means. But the hunters found out that she was
blind of one eye, and hiring a boat rowed under the cliff where
she used to feed and shot her from the sea. "Ah," cried she with
her dying voice,

"You cannot escape your fate!"


Now sleep tight!

But then there are more thought-provoking ones, like this one:

The Lark Burying Her Father

THE LARK (according to an ancient legend) was created before the
earth itself, and when her father died, as there was no earth,
she could find no place of burial for him. She let him lie
uninterred for five days, and on the sixth day, not knowing what
else to do, she buried him in her own head. Hence she obtained
her crest, which is popularly said to be her father's
grave-hillock.

Youth's first duty is reverence to parents.


I don't agree with the moral of the story, at least, not if the parents are human.

But I like the idea of laying someone to rest in your own head.

I'm not talking about actually tearing open the top of my head and cramming in their corpse. (I know some of you think that way...DoBell!) But to keep their ideas and lessons and memories, and using them to learn.

What more could a parent possibly want?

I guess since I'm responding to things I find online...

"Chess computer program X3D Fritz ruthlessly capitalised on a rare blunder by Garry Kasparov on Thursday, giving the program its first ever victory over the human world number one."

"Game three takes place at 1300 EST on Sunday. Kasparov will receive $200,000 for winning, $175,000 for a draw and $150,000 for a loss."


The terms sound suspiciously like boxing. $150,000 for a loss? I think I'll send those guys an e-mail offering them my services. After all, I can lose for much cheaper, and much faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.