Monday, February 15, 2021

Aha, yes. (Matt Berry impersonation.)

Working with medical supplies for patients with lung cancer often makes me think about the end of life. What would I do if I were dying? How would I behave? What would be different in my day-to-day life, assuming my ailment allowed me to live fairly normally? Right now, I don't know. I have such an ingrained routine. Maybe clean the house? Take up woodworking? That Japanese style of building with no nails is pretty cool. 

All the ways I imagine I'd behave are almost identical to the way I'd behave if I didn't have to work for money. Or rather, if I had sufficient resources that I could do what I wanted (within reason). If this were to happen, I have a huge advantage in that I've got years of writing to go through and see all the things I've ever wanted, and then try those. Or even things I have done, started, and never finished. It could be like a job. A personal college course of interests. Because I would need that structure. With too many choices, I would become overwhelmed and curl up into a ball. 

What an interesting concept. Brain is bad at this, so make a schedule. Automate it externally, similar to the habits I've already built internally. 

Yes, this could work. I'll probably need to get better at Excel first. Or Google Calendar. Reading, letter-writing, creating, cleaning, animal-wrangling, and sass. All the basics. Build up from there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.