Friday, January 08, 2021

Almost every morning, when I take a shower and wash away the sleep from my mind, a thought springs unbidden. "Koallaby." It's a combination of "koala" and "wallaby." What wondrous form this portmanteau must is unknown to me. Perhaps it would look mainly like a koala, greyish coloring, white tufts of ears. The back legs, however, wold be long and strong. It would amuse tourists by hopping rapidly on its hind legs, wallaby-wise, across open ground and then launching itself at the trunks of trees, clutching onto them. Then it would move slowly again, koala-like, and much some leaves. 

Its life would be one of long stretches of such repose, punctuated by bursts of hoppiness.

Koallaby goals.

* * * *

I made my monthly payment to my student loan. There's a forbearance on it and no payment is technically required. Habit keeps me going. Given the way such rewards are meted out in this world, perhaps any kind of government action to forgive student loans will reward those who have actually been making their regular payments, despite the reprieve. Some article I read, on NPR I think, said it's something like less than a third of people are still making such student loan payments during the forbearance. There is wisdom in not paying them (assuming one were able to do so) and focusing on higher-interest debts. As I said, I am relying on a cynical, bitter wisdom of living in a system that rewards those with middling-wealth (and upwards) with assistance, while those who are truly desperate are thrown a handful of crumbs (that they will have the option to attempt to catch after filling out the proper forms in triplicate).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.