Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Started watching a video about how motivation works and schooling is built on a mistaken idea of grading as an accurate measure of skill but I didn't finish it. I'll finish it. Rewards take away the joy was my takeaway. The joy of the thing. I wonder if the video answers if punishment takes away the joy of the thing? 

Fascinating stuff. 

I'm at work and I now have to take incoming calls from physicians with questions. I hate it because it interrupts whatever I was working on, but also I love it because I'm really really good at it. I'm supposed to kind of guide it to the person who can fix it but if I can fix it, I will fix it. Going back to the the reward thing; I'm not measured on whether I solve the problem or not, but all my other work (that is being interrupted) is actively monitored and that might "motivate" me to not be as helpful. We'll see what happens. I like helping. It's strange, you know? My job is to help, and I enjoy it, and the main stressor is the time in which I have to do it. Feeling like I can't really accomplish what I want to accomplish with the resources I have. Which is normal. Still, I resent this very normal and mundane aspect of life.

Oh, we got a new dishwasher today! Woo-hoo!

What a world.

I've been experimenting with fire. I don't like the hair on my knuckles and I saw this barber trick where they use lighters to singe off ear hair and I thought, hey why not.

It works, although the smell of burning hair tends to linger.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.