Wednesday, April 14, 2021

A comic I follow made a comic about writer's block. There's nothing funny about writer's block. I'm not sure how it applies to drawing comics. I suppose they come up with the joke first, and then draw it. Personally, if I could draw, I would make a hundred different images of my characters. Performing specific actions, and having different reactions and expressions. Then I'd create a hundred backgrounds. Then I'd create a hundred side-characters, just basic forms that can be mouthpieces for the setup of the joke. 

Then I'd learn to program and shuffle the images randomly. 

And none of my comics would have jokes about writer's block.

I'm okay with taking it a step beyond writer's block, and discussing what the artist is trying to accomplish. For example, saying "I have writer's block' tells me nothing, except that the person is trying to write. Saying "I want to write the Great American Novel" tells me much more, and even allows me to respond with "Well, America's not that great so that shouldn't be too hard."

"I want to write something that makes people laugh." 
"Then you'll have to learn about things people think are funny, and honestly most of those things are terrible."

"I want to write something revealing about my inner self."
"Great, just don't expect anyone to read it."

A long time ago I was thinking about having a roast for my friend Matt, aka Surly. Mostly an excuse to have dinner and make fun of each other. Like in the olden days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.