Wednesday, February 03, 2021

*I* Read an article about analyzing language on social media. https://www.pnas.org/content/118/7/e2017154118

Very interesting stuff. I remember years ago there was an algorithm that would try to determine if the writer was male or female. I ran some of my blog posts through it, and if I recall correctly, I was in-between. Good, I say. 

The abstract intrigued me, particularly this part:

Signs included an increase in I-words, we-words, and cognitive processing words (characteristic of depression, collective focus, and the meaning-making process, respectively) and drops in analytic thinking (indicating more personal and informal language). 

I say "I" all the time in my writing. In fact, I make a constant effort to avoid starting every paragraph with "I", so it could be even worse. I leave the implied "I" there, however. Hmm, I better go back and add the "I" to my first paragraph because the past tense of read is also read and it looks like an imperative.

That's better. Now, where was I? I was going to look up examples of cognitive processing words. Some person online says: Cognitive words refer to words that are associated with cognitive processing and include insightful (e.g., “realize”) and causal (e.g., “because”) words. 

I think I understand. I suppose I do use a lot of cognitive processing words due to my inherent mistrust of my cognitive processes. (Fun Fact: I used to pronounce a long E in "processes" because I thought that's what you did with plural words like that, like how nemesis becomes nemeses but turns out that rule is only for words of a specific language of origin, I want to say Greek because I'm lazy but I don't really remember. I will not back down on the plural for cactus and using a long E when I say "cactuses".)

Now I'm glad I'm writing more. Or more glad, I should say. I'll be able to track my mental ups and downs based on my word choices and see if I'm losing my mind. Although I may only be able to do it once; once I know language might indicate I'm losing my mind I may be able to learn to avoid those patterns. If I fall into that sweet spot of madness like Ahab. Damn you, brain! Always one step ahead of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.