Tuesday, February 02, 2021

I had a macabre idea last night as I was falling asleep. It felt like the memory of an idea. The thought was of removing the pet ID microchip from Watson's body and implanting it into my own. Pet microchips are rice grain-sized RFID tags embedded underneath the skin of the pet. Using a specialized scanner will bring up the ID number, and a private company holds all the contact info associated with that ID number. 

People I know and love have gotten tattoos of their pets. Given my current feelings on tattoos, this idea seems more exemplary of the complex emotions I feel for my dog. Someone says they got a tattoo of their dead dog, and you think hey, they must really love their dog. Someone says they dug out their dead dog's dog microchip and implanted it into themselves and you think...well, probably lots of things. Love yes, but also the darker side of love where you feel so intensely about them that you start to lose sight of where you end they begin. The endless envy of those not obsessed.

And it wouldn't have the ostentatious inklings of a tattoo. It would be a tiny bump under the skin; barely visible, but noticeable to the touch. 

All this is just musing, since Watson was cremated and thus, his microchip was also. Plus, since those things are injected into animals there is really no way to know what less-than-optimal materials are in there that would now be in your body. Of course, humans can live way longer than dogs and even if the materials are good for twenty years who knows if they're engineered to really last beyond that. 

Also it would be hard to explain to airport security. 

But bonus, it would freak out all the people that buy into the human tracking device conspiracy theories. I could tell them "Oh yeah, I put mine in so they think I'm just a pet, so when they come for all the humans I'll be able to hide in pet stores or random doghouses."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.