Sunday, December 06, 2020

Sunday Morning Ritual: The First

It's Sunday morning and I'm lying in bed. Oh, I've gotten up and eaten and went potty and now I'm back in bed to get my nothing done. It's a cold morning, which is perfect for that.

It's usually a slow news day. 

I am comfy but I don't want to just fall back asleep or anything. Just be cozy and peaceful. 

Nothing big planned for today either. Sundays I do my walking, and I do my laundry. The rest is just icing on the delicious cake of laziness. 

Writing on my phone is different. I use a tracing function on my phone's keyboard (as opposed to tapping individual letters) which can lead to some interesting errors. There's also the predictive text that will suggest the next word I'm likely to use. Which is irksome in its own way, despite being helpful when I'm replying to small talk. 

Which defeats the purpose, I think. Small talk is a *unobtrusive way of checking on someone. There's subtle clues to one's mindset. For me (to use the closest and coziest example), I have different small talk for work then I do for the rest of the world. I almost never volunteer any personal information. I also don't inquire about the personal activities of the other person that they didn't bring up first. 

I'm not sure when I started doing that. Probably sometime after working at the animal rescue.

* Oh that asterisk I made. That was to remind me to look up the style rules for using "an" before a word that starts with the a similar sound. I feel like the rule is based on the spoken aesthetic, but grammar. Like when I was studying Italian and there are rules just to make the language sound more musical.

I pronounce "an" like "uhn" so when I say "that's an unusual thing to say" the words start with the same sound and I don't like it. 

I could start pronouncing "an" like the beginning of "and" so it sounds different... But I ain't changing my phonemicals fer nobody.

It also annoys me when people say "It's truly a honor" because yes, there's a written consonant but it's a vowel sound so throw the "an" in there dammit. 

And the cosmic ballet between prescriptive and descriptive grammar goes on.

I am getting too worked up over this on a morn-

It's noon?! Okay that's lazy even for me. Time to shower, have second breakfast, and hop on the treadmill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.