Sunday, January 17, 2021

Cell Phone Sunday #3

Bah I say. I've moved to the couch because the puppies have stolen my bed. Now I'm sad because they didn't follow me. 

Sometimes they sleep on my legs.

I'm taking the day off on Tuesday just because. I'll have to run back into the office because I forget to turn on a certain "away" setting.

I should cut my hair today. That would be a small productive thing. I was also going to go the grocery. My continuing quest for orange-flavored Metamucil goes on. I currently have the unflavored kind and I never realized how good I had it before. 

When I drink it, I have to imagine I am in some exotic location trying the local cuisine, or visiting a king and this is their royal custom, or the drink is how I must pay penance for my many failings. 

I remember my friend Nicole. I worked with her at Brian's sister's French restaurant. I loved that restaurant. Not so much working there, because it's still work, but overall I enjoyed my time there. 

Nicole and I had a conversation where she was talking about the importance of fiber in fighting toxins. I argued, of course, that fiber was inert and how could it fight toxins. Later, I did research some studies about fiber in our system (okay, I read the abstracts of some studies) and found that basically, interesting things happen around the ingestion of fiber. Maybe mechanical in nature, stimulating a response from the intestinal lining, or possibly the fiber acts as a food source for beneficial bacteria, and other such ideas. I forget now, but that's not the point. The point is that Nicole has since died of colon cancer. Now I take my fiber drink and sometimes I think of her. 

I don't take the fiber for its potential cancer-fighting abilities. It's just nice to not have to strain to poop. 

I think I'll go to the store now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.