Friday, June 09, 2006



Horse-play, romping, frequent and loud fits of laughter, jokes, and indiscriminate familiarity, will sink both merit and knowledge into a degree of contempt. They compose at most a merry fellow; and a merry fellow was never yet a respectable man.
-Lord Chesterfield.


I heard the new single by Live on the radio as I was driving home today. I instinctivly rolled down the window as I felt the gorge rising in my throat. I managed to change the station before Ed Kowalzcyk could assault my brain with another chorus of "Dah-dah-da-da-dah."

The only prescription after the sugary bile drips out of my radio and rapes my ears is to listen to the 2 and 1/2 good Live albums at volumes loud enough to destroy the nerves in my ears that have been thus violated. It's like musical chemotherapy.

In this case, the aural bonesaw I chose was White, Discussion. A great song, nay, sonic journey that is just as relevant today as it was when it came out in nineteen schmifty-six. I am feeling better now.

But not much better. I've been reducing my consumption of meat for some reason and today I indulged in some hot dogs for breakfast. The effects have been reminiscent of a person who abstains from drinking for a month and then on impulse drinks a few shots of bottom-shelf vodka out of an ashtray. Unpleasant for all involved. Especially the vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.