Monday, February 20, 2006

I was going to write about the party my roommates and I had this weekend. Well, I guess I will write about it. Juxtaposition and all that. For this party, we created an ad hoc currency that could be exchanged for alcoholic drinks. A makeshift bar was set up in the kitchen and when guests arrived they would receive a slip of paper with a condition written on it. For instance, "Find someone who was born in another country," "Find someone who knows the difference between a meteorite and a meteoroid," or "Find someone who is wearing matching underwear." When they fulfilled the condition, they could bring the slip of paper to me and I would make them a drink and give them a new slip of paper. They had to provide proof to get their drink and they couldn't ask any of the roommates or people they came with.

It worked out pretty well. There were questions that appealed to everyone, from the science-minded ("Find someone who knows the second law of thermodynamics,") to the groping-minded ("Hug someone from behind that you don't know.")

So another weekend passed with partying into the wee hours of the morning, sleeping a few hours, and then getting up for work.

Meanwhile, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, communities, local agencies, and international volunteers are striving to stop human rights violations and to help a country raise itself up by its non-existent bootstraps. I think I'm sounding pessimistic, but the challenge is monstrous.

And yet we have a force of nature at work there that goes by the name of Jarod Sibbitt that is working unflaggingly on the side of good.

Today I will pick up my paycheck from my part-time job at a pet store and use $20 of those dollars to help Jarod free someone who has been wrongfully imprisoned. I don't consider myself a contracted player for the side of good (probably more like a free agent) I believe that someday as I lay dying I will be glad that I helped someone get home to their mother. And I'll be glad that Jarod gave me that chance.

I know it's sort of a trickled-down theory of morality, but I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever you're thinking, I would like to hear it.